My Personal Views on Fitiquette:
- Don’t just hang out on machines you aren’t using. Let other people use the machines if you aren’t using them. That’s what the chairs and sitting areas are for.
- ALWAYS re-rack your weights. It’s quite annoying to have to go hunting for the weights you need, even when no one else is using them. Even if you aren’t tidy at home, it is common courtesy to be tidy in the gym.
- Don’t text while working out. If you can text during your workout, you aren’t working hard enough. You should not be taking breaks that long between sets anyways. I’ve always thought this was very “high school”. If it is an important conversation or an emergency, handle it outside the gym or out of the way. Not only is it annoying to be waiting for someone to get off their phone so you can use a machine or bench, it also endangers others if you are not paying attention to your surroundings.
- Wipe your sweat off the equipment. We all sweat, it’s natural… but that doesn’t mean everyone else is going to want to share it! Bring a towel with you and wipe things down if the gym doesn’t provide paper towels.
- Be friendly, but not overly so. While you don’t want to be the girl scowling and grunting at people, you also don’t want to be the chatty cathy. Smile, say hi, be courteous, but not overly so.